The Hollidaysburg Area Public Library is holding a book drive during Harry Potter Night at the Altoona Curve.
It will begin August 2nd at 7PM at the People’s Natural Gas Field. Bring along and donate new-condition books you don’t want, and you will receive extra tickets for the basket raffle. Donated books will benefit the library.
Other prizes will be available as well, including J.K. Rowling’s newest book, The Cursed Child. Visitors will be treated to a fireworks show during the event.
Curious about your family history and want to find out more about your ancestry? Stop in to the library and use Ancestry Library Edition on our public computers! You can find out about your ancestry from past census results, military history, immigration records, and more!
- To have your records waiting for you when you get home: Use our send a document feature! Look in the upper right of the Ancestry Library Edition homepage for more information.
- To see new content on Ancestry Library Edition: Click on “New Collections” in the navigation bar from any page.
- Looking for help: Click on “Learning Center” in the navigation bar from any page.
- To find specific content: Click on “Search” and then “Card Catalog” to discover databases by category, era, or location.
- You can also search by keyword or title.
- To find records in a specific state or country: Click on “Search” and use Explore by Location to narrow down your search.
- To get all relevant names: Use wildcards to to cover all possible alternative forms and spellings. Put ? or * at the middle or end of names where you expect variations. Example: Type Wil* Smi?th.
Ancestry Library Edition is powered by Ancestry and delivered by ProQuest.
Save the date!
On Monday, June 20 the Hollidaysburg Area Public Library will be having its Annual Meeting and Celebration, and we would love for you to join us! The $25 cost of attendance includes dinner and an entry for the door prize. There will be raffles and auctions to enter separately, as well!
A big thank you to the people who have already contributed to this event: Joe Dodson, Lisa Mancinelli, The American Legion, Dave Gehret, Don Delozier, and Imler’s Poultry. If you would like to donate items for the raffles, or other things we might need to make this event a success, please contact the library at 695-5961.
Why would a global chronicle of arts and culture point to the Hollidaysburg Area Public Library?
Because in addition to offering a great selection of books, our library is one of the first anywhere to lend ukuleles! Smithsonian.com featured this opportunity in “Pennsylvania Libraries Will Let You Check Out a Ukulele” (January 12, 2016).
This program is a great example of how our Community Room–and our new facility overall–enriches our area. Our hosting of the Allegheny Ukulele Kollective events helped lead to the lending program throughout Central Pennsylvania (with special credit to our own Miss Melanie Ramsey!).
Since the opening of our new building in 2014, our circulation and visits have risen over 20%. Here are some areas of interest from recent events or displays: Windows 10, Storytelling, Star Wars, Ballet, Poetry, Astronomy, Ceramics, Exchange Students, Retro Gaming, Beekeeping, Bicycling, Homeschooling, Nesting Dolls, Emergency Preparedness, LEGOs, Climate Science, and Voter Registration. Plus our popular book clubs!
Add in our collection of over 40,000 materials, 19 public computers, other meeting rooms and our well-equipped kitchen, and the library is a priceless resource for growth and connection.
Priceless, but with a cost of about $720 for each day of operation. Over half of our operating funds comes from local donations. Will you fund one day or part of a day? Your investment will touch individuals of all ages, and the effect will ripple over generations. You will help form and transform lives.
Donations can be mailed to Hollidaysburg Area Public Library, 1 Furnace Road, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648.